The holidays are around the corner and with each passing year the holidays in our home seem to represent our life as a law enforcement family more and more. From the schedules, to rescheduling family traditions, to funny gifts- many law enforcement families experience the holidays in a rather similar way.
The typical things we can all think of are rearranging our schedules to spend holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas with our loved one. But what about those funny or stand out situations? They are the ones I love the most. They are what I laugh about or cherish when I am missing my law officer husband during the holiday season the most. They are the experiences we look back on. They are the situations that we relate to the most with other law enforcement families that are often missing their loved one, too.
As a police wife, I feel each year brings new, sometimes funny, situations surrounding the holidays. This is even more so now that we have children.
Let’s see if you can relate.
You might be married to a law enforcement officer if….
– Your kids find the Elf on the Shelf either being arrested or pulling over Barbie in her sports car.
– People are asking you where your officer is at EVERY holiday event/occasion.
– You have a Christmas tree decorated with all law enforcement and Thin Blue Line ornaments.
– You eat your Christmas dinner with your officer out of fancy tupperware in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Oh the police life luxuries. At least you get to be together, right?
– The only gifts your officer asks for are guns and ammo. But if you are looking for gifts other than guns and ammo, be sure to check out my recommendations from Thin Blue Line USA.
– When you go Christmas shopping, your hubby makes sure you know where each exit is in case he sees someone he has arrested. This is all the time, but seems to happen more during the holiday season.
-Your officer insists that Die Hard is actually a Christmas movie. What?!?!
– Your officer is all too leary of your kids sitting on Santa’s lap.
-He knows to buy you police wife clothing from Southern Charm Designs!
Can you relate??
The holidays hold a special place in my heart for many reasons (while for some, holidays are extremely difficult). I always feel that the undeniable bond that is shared between law enforcement families is seen the most during the holidays. We help one another, spread the love and relate to one another in more ways than one, especially when others do not understand our constant schedule changes around the holidays expect our blue line family. I also try to find all those positive experiences so I have memories to look back on, instead of dwelling on the fact that my husband is yet again, working on Christmas. I talk more about how to handle the holidays as a law enforcement family here.
If you have any funny or relatable experiences to share, then I would love to hear from you! Comment below or send me an email at email@example.com- I LOVE to hear from my readers!
Do you feel lonely while your officer is working?
Join over 1,000 other wives and find ways to reduce worry and stay busy while your officer is on shift!
Grab your FREE copy of 10 Ways to Not be Lonely While your Officer is Working!